harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Paulex Yang <paulex.y...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib]volunteer to supply patches for old JIRAs
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2006 04:27:20 GMT
Nathan Beyer wrote:
> Here are a few things that I think might help with getting through some of
> the older outstanding issues, as well as new ones.
> * If an issue is old (over a month???), then verify that it's still an issue
> with the latest code and note this with a JIRA comment.
> * Obviously posting patches is great, but patches without tests are almost
> always ignored.
> ** If you're posting an enhancement, post a patch that enhances the tests
> and make sure they pass on an RI. (I always make sure the test passes on the
> RI before considering the patch.)
> ** If you're posting a fix, post a patch that includes a regression test. (I
> always apply the test first, then run it to see it fail, then I look at the
> fix.)
> * If there's a particular JIRA issue that you would like fixed and a patch
> already exists, try applying the patch yourself, verify it and then add a
> comment supporting the patch.
> -Nathan
+1 from me, this is an excellent guide. Only one more thing:

* If the JIRA/patch is debatable for any reasons (non-bug difference,
break others, any other concerns...), don't hesitate to forward it to
dev-list for discussion.

And further, if possible, I suggest to look at related JIRAs in one run,
for example, there may be several issues/patches related to
ObjectOutputStream, if you fixed/updated one, another patch may be
outdated, a better way is to link them and consider them together.

Paulex Yang
China Software Development Lab