harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Paulex Yang <paulex.y...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] putting kernel.jar in jre/bin/default
Date Tue, 12 Sep 2006 06:36:42 GMT
Alexey Varlamov wrote:
> 2006/9/11, Paulex Yang <paulex.yang@gmail.com>:
>> Alexey Varlamov wrote:

>> reside

>> unix?  I've
>> >
>> > IIUC, j9 does this in astonishingly simple way - it just specifies
>> > "-Xbootclasspath/p:%LAUNCHER_HOME%/default/luni-kernel.jar" in the
>> > "<vmdir>/harmonyvm.properties" file, and the launcher does the rest.
>> > Namely, it automatically reads that file, replaces %LAUNCHER_HOME%
>> > with actual location and feeds extra arguments to VM among user's
>> > ones.
>> > This solution looks sufficient for now, but it seems to be only
>> > partial: it does not work for pure Invocation API
>> > usecase.Besides,those hardcoded arguments to VM appear confusing in
>> > some cases - e.g.
>> > it is impossible to override kernel.jar via command-line.
>> Is it necessary to override the kernel.jar via command-line? The kernel
>> class is provided by VM, so it is natural to locate it by VM specific
>> property file.
>
> The first example which came to mind, how could you instrument the
> kernel classes, say for coverage analysis by emma or custom profiling?
> I'm sure there are more usecases, but anyway this is generally adopted
> behaviour and not following it may be far more disappointing than
> exception message incompatibility which we care so much ;)
I'm not sure I catch up what you mean, about Emma, Harmony's current
test coverage exclude list[1] shows that not all classes can be
instrumented, I don't think it is due to the position of kernel classes.

Further, for the special requirement(instrument, AOP, or so), anything
prevent the user to add "-Xbootclasspath/p" to replace the kernel class
implementation? Or, what's the difference on this between RI and current
Harmony?

[1] http://viv.byethost15.com/exclude.list

>> > Also note hardcoded "default" vmdir.
>> Agree, "default" should be replaced by some variables(%vmdir% or so), so
>> it is easier to move VME to another directory.
> OK, I will file a JIRA for this.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Alexey