harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] putting kernel.jar in jre/bin/default
Date Mon, 11 Sep 2006 10:18:07 GMT

Alexey Varlamov wrote:

>> Evgueni Brevnov wrote:
>>
>>  > If yes then we can take vmcore.dll base path as a
>> > location of kerenel.jar.
>>
>> Sure - where will you get that?  and what do you w/ .so's in unix?  I've
>> come to the conclusion that the only way will be to manually run the
>> PATH (win) and LD_LIBRARY_PATH (linux)
>
> IIUC, j9 does this in astonishingly simple way - it just specifies
> "-Xbootclasspath/p:%LAUNCHER_HOME%/default/luni-kernel.jar" in the
> "<vmdir>/harmonyvm.properties" file, and the launcher does the rest.
> Namely, it automatically reads that file, replaces %LAUNCHER_HOME%
> with actual location and feeds extra arguments to VM among user's
> ones.
> This solution looks sufficient for now, but it seems to be only
> partial: it does not work for pure Invocation API usecase. Besides,
> those hardcoded arguments to VM appear confusing in some cases - e.g.
> it is impossible to override kernel.jar via command-line. Also note
> hardcoded "default" vmdir.

Ok, this makes sense. Yes, the "default" is a problem.  However, if a
little is good, more is better....  we could also add another env var
like LAUNCHER_HOME like VM_DIR so

    -Xbootclasspath/p:%LAUNCHER_HOME%/%VM_DIR%/....

so that we can at least put it in /j9 and /drlvm - the goal here is to
be able to install both at the same time to make it easy to A/B test things.

And yes, this is problematic as you noted...

> As for the .so locations, I'm not sure if there is portable solution
> (parsing LD_LIBRARY_PATH looks error-prone). Maybe better solution
> would be leave this to user - for setting JAVA_HOME or such...

Yes, LD_LIBRARY_PATH is going to be error-prone, but it's how other
resources are found - using apr_dso_load() on linux just defers to
dlopen(), which.... uses LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

geir