harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Paulex Yang <paulex.y...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] putting kernel.jar in jre/bin/default
Date Mon, 11 Sep 2006 10:12:50 GMT
Alexey Varlamov wrote:

>> Evgueni Brevnov wrote:
>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH or
>> >
>> > Is vmcore.dll (now harmonyvm.dll) and kernel.jar should always reside
>> > in one directory?
>>
>> I was thinking about this for packaging - that way you can have :
>>
>>   jre/
>>      bin/
>>         j9/
>>         drlvm/
>>
>> and setup a symlink if you wish.
>>
>> if we have kernel.jar in jre/lib/boot as we do now, it's must less
>> convenient and probably error prone to switch back and forth.
>>
>>  > If yes then we can take vmcore.dll base path as a
>> > location of kerenel.jar.
>>
>> Sure - where will you get that?  and what do you w/ .so's in unix?  I've
>> come to the conclusion that the only way will be to manually run the
>> PATH (win) and LD_LIBRARY_PATH (linux)
>
> IIUC, j9 does this in astonishingly simple way - it just specifies
> "-Xbootclasspath/p:%LAUNCHER_HOME%/default/luni-kernel.jar" in the
> "<vmdir>/harmonyvm.properties" file, and the launcher does the rest.
> Namely, it automatically reads that file, replaces %LAUNCHER_HOME%
> with actual location and feeds extra arguments to VM among user's
> ones.
> This solution looks sufficient for now, but it seems to be only
> partial: it does not work for pure Invocation API
> usecase.Besides,those hardcoded arguments to VM appear confusing in
> some cases - e.g.
> it is impossible to override kernel.jar via command-line.
Is it necessary to override the kernel.jar via command-line? The kernel
class is provided by VM, so it is natural to locate it by VM specific
property file.
> Also note hardcoded "default" vmdir.
Agree, "default" should be replaced by some variables(%vmdir% or so), so
it is easier to move VME to another directory.

--
Paulex Yang
China Software Development Lab