harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Jimmy, Jing Lv" <firep...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][internationalization]Are log messages and tools usage text to be internationalized?
Date Mon, 11 Sep 2006 01:42:30 GMT
Ilya Okomin wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> During rmi module internationalization I've faced with loads of log
> messages
> (e.g. take a look at o.a.h.rmi.DefaultRMIClassLoaderSpi).
> Also some classes (e.g. o.a.h.rmi.compiler.RmicStrings) have strings that
> are the usage texts of any console tool.
> I think we shouldn't internationalize such messages, however I'm not really
> sure about that.
> If we internationalize them - we'll obtain fully internationalized module
> it is an advantage.
>> From the other hand - if you have to analyse someone's log, it is
>> useful if
> the common langauge was used. Moreover, messages.properties file with the
> list of all messages will be too huge to find appropriate messages for new
> classes developed later.
> Any thoughts?

IMHO, we have agree on that all console output can be internationalized.

If the only problem of a too huge messages.properties file is to find
appropriate, I guess we can:
1. Separate the file into several smaller ones, one for console, one for
error message, etc. Or
2. add a prefix to the String name, for an example, rmi.console.1,
rmi.errormsg.2. it can be more detail.

In this way we can find some certain message easy. And I prefer 2.

--

Best Regards!

Jimmy, Jing Lv
China Software Development Lab, IBM