harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] Need help debugging
Date Sat, 09 Sep 2006 21:15:20 GMT

Nathan Beyer wrote:
> I'm having trouble with the launcher and -showversion. I'm using the IBM VME
> though.
>
> C:\dev\harmony\enhanced\classlib\trunk\deploy\jdk\jre\bin>java -showversion
> Apache Harmony Launcher : (c) Copyright 1991, 2006 The Apache Software
> Foundation or its licensors, as applicable.
> JVMJ9VM007E Command-line option unrecognised: -showversion
> HMYEXEL062E Internal VM error: Failed to create Java VM
> FAILED.

Oi. That's a side effect of the change I made, which passes the arg
through to the VM, so the VM can show it's version along with the
version of the launcher.

The IBM VME doesn't apparently support "-showversion".

So this is breaking your testing.

We can do one of two things immediately :

1) I can roll back the change to main.c in the launcher

2) We can temporarily take "showversion" out of the test script so that
the VM isn't invoked w/ that parameter during test runs.

I'd prefer the latter, as I'm using multiple versions of DRLVM via the
launcher, and it's nice to be able to get the version out.

I do think that this is the right behavior, and that I hope that our
fiends at IBM will fix J9 to at least not barf on the parameter (and
maybe even show useful info!)

Let me know what you want to do.  Sorry I didnt' think ahead far enough
w/ those changes...

geir