harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] DRLVM, jre/bin/default and launcher
Date Thu, 07 Sep 2006 03:50:16 GMT
Code is checked in for linux - and updating and testing now on WinXP.

The issue was that all of our library loading was done with full paths,
which didn't let APR via dlopen() use LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

So I made some small mods - please review.  One problem I found was that
  I had to make assumptions such as passing NULL instead of a path being
safe, because there was no comments in the code about expected inputs
(or resulting outputs).

I also neutered "vm.boot.library.path" to be "" unless set on command
line, rather than be the directory of the launching executable, as I
figured that a) I needed to have it be "" and b) that would lead to some
interesting failures when people tried to embed DRLVM in other apps or such.

I'll see what I can take out of HARMONY-1390 for some of the issues
related to teardown.  Or, Evgueni, you can tell me to close it and we
can do another one.  There seemed to be a few extra things included in
that patch, btw :)

Tomorrow, I'll finish the changes to the build so we get a
launcher-based JRE and HDK.

I know this isn't perfect, but it's a step forward - thanks all for all
the help.

geir

(and for the record, working in C, C++ and Java all at the same time is
a hoot...)

Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> Ok, I think I have this working now.
>
> DRLVM can be put anywhere and it works w/ the launcher w/o any unnatural
> acts with command line parameters and/or scripts.
>
> There are a few things to chat about - I'll get my thoughts together
> later tonight and post, and check in the code.  I just wanted to let
> people know if they were thinking about working on it.
>
> geir
>

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>

>> Evgueni Brevnov wrote:

>>> I don't care about it too much. Let it be "default". In that case
>>> -vmdir option should be specified each time. Is it convenient for
>>> users?
>>
>> ?  right now, "default" is the default.  So the user doesn't have to
>> specify anything...
>>
>> With the DRLVM stuff in jre/bin/default the user just types
>>
>>      java
>>

>>  > BTW it seems there will be some problems with hythr.dll library
>>> if we wish to use drlvm and j9 in simultaneously. But that's another
>>> story...
>>
>> Yes, we need to resolve this.

>>> Yes, the patch contains changes for both parts vm and build.
>>> It was easy for me to change the build than do manual manipulations
>>> each time to
>>> check whether it runs OK or not.
>>
>> So does this mean if I apply the patch, then DRLVM works w/ the
>> launcher from the jre/bin/default directory w/o any problems?
>>
>> geir

VM.

so

DRLVM