harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] DRLVM, jre/bin/default and launcher
Date Wed, 06 Sep 2006 16:12:03 GMT

Evgueni Brevnov wrote:

>> > HI All,
>> >
>> > Good news! I have a patch to run DRLVM with the classlib's launcher
>> > (I've checked Hello and Eclipse applications on Windows only).
>> > Actually, there are two patches. The first one is for classlib which
>> > changes vm default directory to drlvm.
>>
>> I don't think we should do that - we'll keep it the same as it is now -
>> "default".
>>
>> Why should we change it?
>
> I don't care about it too much. Let it be "default". In that case
> -vmdir option should be specified each time. Is it convenient for
> users?

?  right now, "default" is the default.  So the user doesn't have to
specify anything...

With the DRLVM stuff in jre/bin/default the user just types

      java

 > BTW it seems there will be some problems with hythr.dll library
> if we wish to use drlvm and j9 in simultaneously. But that's another
> story...

Yes, we need to resolve this.

>> > The second one is for build
>> > system and VM itself. Unfortunatelly, it is impossible to eliminate
>> > all problems in a short period of time. There is still a bunch of work
>> > in initialization and jni modules. So this patch is just a one more
>> > step to our goal.
>>
>> Great.  As I said in other mails, the build stuff isn't the part to
>> worry about but rather the VM itself.
>>
>> So does this patch do it completely, or should we wait?
>
> Yes, the patch contains changes for both parts vm and build.
> It was easy for me to change the build than do manual manipulations each
> time to
> check whether it runs OK or not.

So does this mean if I apply the patch, then DRLVM works w/ the launcher
from the jre/bin/default directory w/o any problems?

geir