harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] DRLVM, jre/bin/default and launcher
Date Mon, 04 Sep 2006 17:02:16 GMT

Andrey Chernyshev wrote:
> On 9/1/06, Evgueni Brevnov <evgueni.brevnov@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Geir,
>>
>> I'm very enthusiastic about making DRLVM to work with the launcher. It
>> requires implementation of the Invocation API to a certain extent. For
>> example it's enougth to have only partial support for
>
> To some extent, some of those invocation API you mentioned have been
> already implemented. I believe DRLVM can already be started with the
> launcher if type a command:
>
> java -vm:vmcore  -vmdir:.

Yes. But it won't work if vmdir isn't "."

> If we want to complete the transition to the classlib's launcher, then
> I guess we need to do the following:
>
> 1.  Fix the DRLVM layout - rename vmcore to "harmonyvm" and move
> .dll/.so into the "default" subdirectory such that one doesn't have to
> type -vm and -vmdir options;

Yes, but that can be done in the build script.

The problem is that DRLVM - apparently EM which seems to a bit of the

> 2. Exclude building of the "original" launcher from the DRLVM build -
> it currently conflicts with the classlib launcher (both are called
> "java").
>
> 3. Aside from the hythread, it may also have a sense to make the
> classlib and DRLVM using the same zlib dll/so (preferably the system
> one).

Yep.

But first, we need to fix EM so that resources can be in a subdirectory.

so to summarize :

I don't believe the issue is as simple as a build script.  I thought I
experimented with getting DRLVM to work with the normal launcher when
DRLVM was in /default.  If memory serves, it doesnt' work.

geir