harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] DRLVM, jre/bin/default and launcher
Date Mon, 04 Sep 2006 15:47:03 GMT
Salikh Zakirov wrote:
> Andrey Chernyshev wrote:
>
>> 1.  Fix the DRLVM layout - rename vmcore to "harmonyvm" and move
>> ..dll/.so into the "default" subdirectory such that one doesn't have to
>> type -vm and -vmdir options;
>>

> While would you want to rename DRLVM to Harmony VM?
> It feels to me like claiming DRLVM to be "the only" Harmony VM.
> On the contrary, I thought Harmony project is about *encouraging* diversity.
>
> I think having library named libdrlvm.so would be much better.

The Harmony launcher looks for harmonyvm.dll as its default vm library.
It's just a generic
name so that the launcher can find the correct library without -vm. The
IBM VME also
contains a harmonyvm.dll, which is why it works without specifying
command line options

Regards,
Oliver

>> 2. Exclude building of the "original" launcher from the DRLVM build -
>> it currently conflicts with the classlib launcher (both are called
>> "java").
>>
>> 3. Aside from the hythread, it may also have a sense to make the
>> classlib and DRLVM using the same zlib dll/so (preferably the system
>> one).

Oliver Deakin
IBM United Kingdom Limited