harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Oleg Khaschansky" <oleg.v.khaschan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][swing/awt] caffinemark shows that our graphics are sloooowwwww....
Date Fri, 22 Sep 2006 13:29:18 GMT
Current implementation of composite operations (alpha blending) on
linux is just a general unacceleratred code, these operations are
performed on per-pixel basis and, definitely, they are rather slow.
But the main reason is that pixel data should be retrieved from the
screen to perform the blending. This screen->client memory data
transfer is painfully slow on X. Probably, it is the most significant
performance gap of the current linux implementation.
Maybe, it is possible to improve it in the most general cases by
implementing a codepath which uses xrender extension, which will allow
to eliminate screen->memory copying, since xrender supports
transparency.

Probably, it is also possible to accelerate blit operations by adding
the code which uses mitshm extension.

Basic rendering w/o transparency theoretically should be much faster
then the transparent case.

These problems are related to linux implementation only.