harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][build] Improvements to build system
Date Fri, 29 Sep 2006 14:07:03 GMT

On 29 September 2006 at 13:14, Oliver Deakin <oliver.deakin@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi all - Ive been away from the list this week, so sorry if Ive missed a
> few
> mails. Ill try and get back to them as soon as possible.
>
> In the meantime Ive been thinking about the classlib build system,
> and spotted a couple of things that Id like to fix/cleanup:
>
> 1) Although we can build a specific module with -Dbuild.module, currently
> we cannot just clean or rebuild a single module. I'd like to be able to
> run "ant -Dbuild.module=luni rebuild" and have it clean only the luni
> java and native binaries and rebuild them. Currently this call results in
> a total clean of all modules, and then all the native code being rebuilt,
> but only the java code for luni (so you end up with only luni.jar in
> lib/boot)! It would also be nice to be able to use the new rebuild-java
> and rebuild-native targets on a per module basis.
>
> 2) In the top level build script we have a number of "public" and
> "private" targets (the "private" ones are prefixed by a hyphen so
> that they cannot be run from the command line). However at the
> modular level the build scripts do not have this separation of
> external and internal targets, even though it is expected that developers
> may run these scripts directly. I would like to setup these scripts in the
> same way as the top level build.xml- with build, build-java, build-native
> etc. external targets and all others as internal and prefixed with
> a hyphen.
>
> I notice that Mark has done some cleanup of the build scripts under
> make recently, but I think the modular scripts still require tidying up.
> Does anyone have any objections to these? Any ideas of other
> relevant activities I can carry out while Im in there?

The other things I was thinking about were:

1) Replacing antcall tasks with task dependencies

2) Moving stuff out of the make/build-java.xml file to a module where
   there is an obvious module that these files should be associated
   with.  For instance, the ant for moving the ecj.jar really belongs
   with the tools module - since if you aren't building the tools module
   you would not need that jar.

3) Fixing the way we build the test support jar too frequently - i.e.
   the fact that we delete it before we test even if it hasn't changed.

4) Whether we can make make/build-native.xml derive some information
   from the modules - which ones need calling in which order - rather
   than hard coding this information

5) Modular building and testing with an hdk?

As usual, I'm sure I'll find more work when I start looking more
closely.

-Mark.