harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark Hindess" <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject [classlib] Trying to catch patternset errors earlier
Date Thu, 28 Sep 2006 09:44:55 GMT

Yesterday, while looking at something unrelated, I noticed that some
of the patternsets that are used to select the jars for the classlib
modules were not up to date with the result that some classes would be
missing from the resulting jars[0].

While it makes me slightly uneasy having a clean target that might fail,
it turns out that this is one place where it is quite easy to check
whether the patternsets are out of date.  (Because if after the modules
have cleaned classes in their patternsets there are still files left
over then something is being create that isn't accounted for by the
patternsets.)

So the clean target will now fail with a message like (tested
by reverting yesterdays change to the sound patternset):

  Built files still exist after module clean targets have run.  This
  probably means that one or more patternsets are incomplete.  The
  remaining files are:

  /classlib/build/classes/org/apache/harmony/sound/utils/ProviderService.class

I'm sure there are other ways to solve this problem but this seemed like
a sensible quick fix to help catch these problems a little sooner[1].

Regards,
 Mark.

[0] This might explain some of the awt/swing test failures so perhaps
it is worth checking the exclude lists again?

[1] Though I guess since we clean at the beginning of a build (not the
end) then we might still find them in the build after the one that
caused the break but that's better than only finding them by accident.