harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] [launcher] Executable hangs
Date Tue, 26 Sep 2006 20:39:31 GMT
On Tuesday 26 September 2006 20:24 Armand Navabi wrote:
> > What is the kernel version BTW? There could be some issues with
> > 2.4.x, currently everybody works with 2.6.x
> The kernel version is

I am running Gentoo too and I confirm that 2.6.17-r8 is the latest stable
kernel for Gentoo.

> And then it hangs.  I did find that this would not happen (i.e. ./java
> would run just fine) if I overwrite libhythr.so with the libhythr.so from
> the classlib's /deploy/jdk/jre/bin directory.  Is that a safe way to
> resolve this problem?

I think not. DRLVM needs its own threading library. The reason is discussed in
a separate thread "thread library - let there be one". I am not sure I
understand all the reasoning for separate libhythr.so implementation, but I
know the drlvm version should be in bin/ and bin/default/ directories.

> (gdb) b jni.cpp:478
> No source file named jni.cpp.

What is the reason to set breakpoint in jni.cpp:478? It is a condition that if
JNI FindClass is called in exception state it shouldn't do anything, just
return NULL.

> Make breakpoint pending on future shared library load? (y or [n]) y
> And then when I run the program it never stops at the breakpoint, though I
> see the print I have inserted in the code.  Secondly, and more importantly,
> if I try to do anything interesting, like run helloworld, gdb seems to lose
> a thread and then hang (says it Cannot find a thread.  Invalid thread
> handle).  I have to then stop it and go kill it.

The solution for this was found and discussed in thread "APR fails to load a
JIT library when using a fully qualified path". The launcher execs itself
with a new environment setting for LD_LIBRARY_PATH and gdb cannot work around

I have a proposal for you. Run "java -Xthread -Xtrace Hello" for hello world
application. The -Xtrace option will produce a lot of output but it will
enable all debugging tracing in drlvm and when it hangs for you it will be a
very close location to the reason of the problem. If there is no output
with -Xtrace, then it probably means launcher problems. Please update the
sources, some launcher problems were resolved just recently.