harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] Trouble Building DRLVM
Date Wed, 20 Sep 2006 23:57:58 GMT
On Thursday 21 September 2006 03:43 Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> On Sep 20, 2006, at 7:28 PM, Gregory Shimansky wrote:
> > On Wednesday 20 September 2006 23:47 Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> >> Ok - so to summarize, there are two things here :
> >>
> >> 1) We need to find a clean way to get bootclasspath.properties.  I
> >> don't like JAVA_HOME.  I'd like to see if we can simply presume a
> >> structure, with an override property for people that want to do weird
> >> things.
> >
> > I don't think it is so weird. JAVA_HOME setting is ignored by RI
> > and I agree
> > with it. It is a variable usually used by scripts like ant
> > invocation. JRE
> > should find its internals itself without any pointer from the user.
>
> Right.
>
> > Also before we get a very stable JRE I wouldn't want JAVA_HOME to
> > point to
> > harmony deploy build. It may result in quite unexpected behavior of
> > other
> > applications including aforementioned ant. When building Harmony VM
> > it cannot
> > overwrite JRE directory on windows because ant is being executed by
> > Harmony
> > JRE already (unless it crashes of course).
>
> What?  You mean actually rewrite JAVA_HOME?

No. I just don't want to have it pointing to Harmony JRE deployment directory
when I work on it and rebuild it often, then try to run what I have got
compiled. If I had to always have JAVA_HOME to point to Harmony JRE I'd have
to switch it off and on to run ant every time I need to rebuild.

The solution is as you agreed above, JRE shouldn't depend on JAVA_HOME in any
way.