harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] [jvmti] Question about JVMTI calling Java code
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2006 22:42:08 GMT
On Wednesday 13 September 2006 16:14 Weldon Washburn wrote:
> Gregory,
>
> You might want to look closely at the code paths in the JVMTI functions.
> If the functions in question happen to be arbitrary Java code, then these
> code paths could lead to many other parts of the JVM which in turn might be
> written in Java.  In the future the JIT runtime helpers or the GC may be
> written in Java.  For example, an innocent looking object new, poll for GC
> or poll for preemption inside a JVMTI function could take the execution
> path deep inside of MMTk, or as mentioned below, deep inside
> java.util.concurrent .
>
> Rather than develop a general solution at this point, it may make sense to
> make all the data JVMTI needs to read/write accessible from C code.

This is what I am trying to determine. Just how much of the data currently
_cannot_ be taken from the native code. I am quite sure thread manager can
provide a thread name or its priority.

A more problematic data in my view may be something like
Thread.getContextClassLoader(). Since it is not directly needed for threading
model it isn't probably kept in any native structures. Getting it may be done
through direct access to the field of j/l/Thread. It is a kernel class of
course, but this will oblige a classlib implementation for Harmony to have
the same field name.