harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [result] Re: [vote] HARMONY-1363 - DRLVM fixes and additions
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2006 22:08:10 GMT
On Thursday 14 September 2006 00:12 Weldon Washburn wrote:
> Anyone having problems building patch 1363 on Linux?
>
> I can get 1363 to work on WinXP without problem.  I first do:
>
>      svn update -r "{2006-08-31}"
>
> Then a:
>
>     patch -p0 -i BBC.patch
>
> The build is successful and "build test" is successful
>
> When I roll back the Linux tree to {2006-08-31} the build fails with the
> following:
>
> "....build/targets/build.native.xml:150: gcc failed with return code 1"
>
> Note that the above is without adding in BBC.patch.  Is there perhaps a
> different revision date I should be using on Linux?  Also, I am using GCC
> 3.4.1 20051202.

Do you have a compilation error like this?

[cc] /home/gregory/work/Harmony/harmony/enhanced/drlvm/trunk/vm/port/include/port_atomic.h:

In function `uint64 port_atomic_cas64(volatile uint64*, uint64, uint64)':
[cc] /home/gregory/work/Harmony/harmony/enhanced/drlvm/trunk/vm/port/include/port_atomic.h:168:

error: PIC register `%ebx' clobbered in `asm'

I see the same error when using gcc 3.4.6. I've created a JIRA 1459 with a
patch which should fixed this problem. While I don't know this code very much
this URL [1] has helped me to fix it. It looks like gcc starting with 3.4.x
has new rules for inline asm.

Since I don't know the exact compilation error that you have I can only guess.
Maybe this is not the problem you actually have. But this is definitely a
compilation problem for me.

[1] http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2004-02/msg00077.html