harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Ivan Volosyuk" <ivan.volos...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [General VM] GC strategy:how to garbage collect short-lived objects quickly.
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2006 19:13:30 GMT
Well, common practise is to allocate most of the physical memory for
java heap and let the GC to deal with it. Different GC algorithms will
produce different pause times with different frequencies.

For your case, I think, it will be optimal to have old generation of
objects living untouched most of the GCs. The rest of the heap is for
young generation objects. GC can be made to occur more frequently if
we collect only part of the young generation space: the oldest chunk
of young generation at a time. There is a trade-off between portion of
heap collected and GC frequency, of cause.

Other techniques like the JIT's thread-local allocation can also help.
--
Ivan