harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Nathan Beyer" <nbe...@kc.rr.com>
Subject RE: [classlib][vmi] VMI classes for Thread/Object manipulation for java.util.concurrent
Date Wed, 27 Sep 2006 05:23:22 GMT

Here's my perspective on things:
* The atomic operations are only the compare and swaps and there are only
three needed - casInt, casLong and casObject. The volatile set/get are just
part of the object accessor API.
* The CAS operations have nearly the same signature as the set methods. For
example, consider the int methods.

public boolean compareAndSwapInt(Object o, long fld, int exp, int val);

public void putInt(Object o, long fld, int val);

These seem functionality very close and related.

Now, I do understand Tim's comments about keeping the accessor portable code
separate from the VM-specific code. Would it be possible to perhaps put the
portable pieces of accessor and the java interfaces in luni and put the
required stubs in luni-kernel? Keep in mind, I have limited experience with
designing the API interactions between Java and native code, so take these
comments a bit lightly. Regardless, my thought is that we can keep the VM's
Java API together, but perhaps delegate the native part in some clean
manner.

-Nathan