harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Nathan Beyer" <nbe...@kc.rr.com>
Subject RE: [build] Compiler parameterization and using ECJ
Date Sun, 10 Sep 2006 22:05:06 GMT

Personally, I would prefer that, but in this case I was just trying to be
consistent. All of the other javac properties are prefixed with
"hy.javac.XXX".

> [SNIP]
> >
> > The other big reason to do this is to attempt to use the Eclipse (ECJ)
> > compiler for the build. I've tested using the ECJ by setting the new
> > property and the build and tests work as normal, but I haven't found a
> way
> > to use the ECJ without manually placing the ECJ JAR in the ANT_HOME\lib
> > folder. As such, I've left the compiler property at 'modern' for now.
>
> Ugh.  I thought it was working before w/o having to put it in ant/lib,
> although i don't remember the reason why we took it away.

I don't think it was ever working with the Eclipse compiler before, was it?

> > I'd like to permanently set the compiler property to use the ECJ v3.2,
> but
> > this will seemingly "break the build" if Ant isn't setup properly. Does
> > anyone have any objections to using ECJ as the standard compiler? Since
> > Harmony will use this as it's 'javac', I believe it would be proper for
> > Harmony to be built with the same compiler.
>
> That's fine, but I think we should solve the problem of where ECJ should
> be.  Having to dork w/ ant itself seems wrong.

Yeah, that's why I'm hoping someone who's more an Ant expert has a way of
changing the environment to dynamically add the ECJ JAR. We use 'ant' tasks
from the top build script to call the dependant scripts, but I haven't found
any documentation or examples that change Ant's classpath this way.