harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Egor Pasko <egor.pa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: how to use the jet?
Date Wed, 30 Aug 2006 02:05:07 GMT
On the 0x1D4 day of Apache Harmony jingxia xing wrote:
> I want to profile some memory access patterns, and try to find out
> which are the most hot ones.

Sounds interesting!

> BTW, I find that I undefine MACRO USE_FAST_PATH, it will happen with
> assert errors (just a HelloWorld application)?  Does it mean that
> JET must be first used to get some profile information?

Yes, exactly. Currently, JET provides entry-backedge profile that is
used by OPT. AFAIR, generating profile in OPT is disabled now, but it
is the subject to change soon :)

I did NOT try to undef USE_FAST_PATH, and this is not what is supposed
to be done. We have 'Execution Manager' that decides which JIT to use
on a method and in which mode (profile-generating, profile-consuming
or no-profile).

Try to run VM with options:
-Xem opt
They tell EM to disable JET. AFAIR, there is no profiling in
this mode today.

Execution manager can be configured via a simple rule-based config
file. Feel free to ask questions on it. BTW, Mikhail Fursov is a great
expert of EM.