harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Egor Pasko <egor.pa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm]A subject to profiling instrumenting
Date Thu, 31 Aug 2006 04:28:34 GMT
On the 0x1D6 day of Apache Harmony ustczz@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>   I am reading JET in DRLVM now. And try to add some profile instrument via
> JET, mainly recording the memory accessing patterns.

Sounds interesting again :)

> Anyone who are interested with it can discuss with me. Thanks!

Recording mem-access patterns is a performance-oriented task, am I
right?

How do you think, should patterns depend on certain JIT and GC
tightly? I suspect they depend heavily on GC, and not-so-much on
JIT. Though, I should say that JET uses a very cheap register
allocation mechanism, so it should negatively influence on the number
of memory accesses, and heavily. If you are more oriented on
performance you should be rather using OPT for that. But, yet, I do
not mind if you start with a more easy-to-use JET :)

Are you trying to implement some known techniques or is your work a
subject of ongoing research? What papers can I read on this to be more
acquainted with what you are doing?