harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Guilhem Lavaux <guil...@kaffe.org>
Subject Re: [rant] Memory options in VM -- why is the default not 'unlimited'
Date Fri, 04 Aug 2006 13:32:16 GMT
will pugh <willpugh <at> sourcelabs.com> writes:

> Yes.  I apologize.  I stated it in the past because the issue was
> resolved in the past.  More precise english probably would have been either:
>
> How did Kaffe decide to deal with SoftReferences?
>   or
> How does Kaffe deal with SoftReferences?
>
> Although, still interested in the answer to either of these questions.
> Do SoftReferences basically become strong references without a limit?
> Do they basically become WeakReferences?  or do they do something else?
>
>     Thanks,
>     --Will

Hi,

Dalibor pointed me to this thread on harmony-dev. I can answer that kaffe does
not yet make a difference between weak references and soft references. They are
both cleared when the GC detects that the object is not anymore strongly
referenced. It generally happens when someone ask for more memory and the GC
tries to first clear the existing allocated memory. As the GC is not trying to
clear any weak references in the meanwhile this behaviour is justified. An
improvement would be to make a quick small clean each time an allocation is
requested. The problem is in the "small" because we do not have yet any way of
parsing the heap by small pieces probably some heuristic is needed there.

Regards,
Guilhem.