harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexey Varlamov" <alexey.v.varla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Sun's permission to use exception messages and toString() formats
Date Mon, 07 Aug 2006 11:33:20 GMT
2006/8/7, Mikhail Loenko <mloenko@gmail.com>:
> 2006/8/7, Geir Magnusson Jr <geir@pobox.com>:
> >

> > Mikhail Loenko wrote:
> > > Does it mean that we are revisiting our agreement on "more helpful error
> > > messages"? [1,2]
> >
> > They are orthogonal.  I think that Mark was right on that our message
> > all over should be helpful, but then when we are throwing exceptions out
> > of standard classes, we need to take some care.
>
> sorry, I did not catch. Most of the exceptions even originating in
> some internal
> classes are finally go to a user app over some standard class.
>

> > > Should we now roll back for example Harmony-250?
> >
> > I don't think so - did it actually undo RI-like exception messages, or
> > just improve some?
>
> In some cases RI throws someting like "invalid arguments" instead of
> throwing e.g. "invalid A" when arg A is invalid and "invalid B" when arg B
> is invalid.
>
> So before the fix we like RI threw one message and now we throw different
> messages:
> -        if ((key == null) || (key.length == 0) || (algorithm == null)) {
> -            throw BADPARAMS_EXC;
> -        }
> +        if (algorithm == null) throw ALG_NULL_EXC;
> +        if (key == null) throw KEY_NULL_EXC;
> +        if (key.length == 0) throw KEY_TOO_SHORT_EXC;

Gentlemen,

For the cited patch, I consider Harmony behavior much more user
friendly and would happily vote for retaining such fixes. I'd hardly
imagine sane application depending on that message, while everyday
users would benefit from detailed messages. Let's listen to voice of
common sense occasionally ;)
Just my 0.02$

--
Alexey