harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Anton Luht" <anton.l...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [performance] performance measurement of HDK
Date Tue, 01 Aug 2006 16:59:22 GMT
Vladimir,

I've found some more Java benchmarks in bookmarks, maybe some of them
will be interesting sor someone.

- Richards and deltaBlue [1] - first "simulates the task dispatcher in
the kernel of an operating system", second is "constraint solver
benchmark in the Java programming language."
- Copier [2] - "The source transmits 10,000 numbers through a large
number of copiers (1,000 to 20,000) to the sink"

As far as I understand there are Richards and Copier implementations
under Creative Common License.

[1] http://research.sun.com/people/mario/java_benchmarking/
[2] http://pws.prserv.net/dlissett/ben/copier1.htm

> Telco - this one mostly stresses BigInteger/BigDecimal functionality
> GcOld - the purpose of this one is clear from the name :)
> SciMark - java benchmark for scientific and numerical computing
> Linpack java - well-known benchmark solving linear equations The
> Plasma Benchmark - creates an animated display by continuously summing
> four sine waves in an applet
> JavaWorld Benchmark - benchmark for low-level operations: loops,
> accessing variables, method invocation, arithmetic operators, casting,
> instantiation, exception handling, thread creation and switching.
> CaffeineMark 3.0 - low-level benchmark suite, including sieve of
> Eratosthenes, sorting, logic ops, method invocation, floating point,
> simple graphics and GUI ops
> JavaGrande benchmark suite - a set of benchmarks stressing different
> areas of java.
>
> Having in mind that the list of publicly available benchmarks is not
> too big, sometimes it will be necessary to create micro benches for
> some of patches (for instance, Harmony-935). IMO micro should be
> started in case we change some code that the bench covers.
>
> Other interesting and possibly more productive way for comparing
> performance between different implementations are to use non-free
> benchmarks. For instance, we can use benchmarks from Spec[n], like
> SpecJVM, SpecJBB, SpecJAppserver. Unfortunately first we should get
> license for it, but I believe this issue can be solved within the help
> of companies participating in Harmony :)
>
> Thoughts? Comments?
>
> [1] http://dacapobench.org
> [2] http://www.spec.org
>
> --