harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Ilya Okomin" <ilya.oko...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][luni] Our locale data is incomplete, and Locale("", "CD").getDisplayCountry() return different string compared with ISO3166-1
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2006 10:17:04 GMT
On 8/10/06, Spark Shen <smallsmallorgan@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2006/8/10, Richard Liang <richard.liangyx@gmail.com>:
> >

> > Spark Shen wrote:
> > > Hi All:
> > > Construct a locale like this:
> > > Locale l = new Locale("", "CD");
> > > On RI, l.getDisplayCountry() will return "The Democratic Republic Of
> > > Congo",
> > > which is different from ISO 3166-1 standard.
> > > ("CONGO, THE DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE" or "Congo, the Democratic
> > > Republic
> > > of the")
> > IMHO, we may follow the Java Specification, that is, ISO-3166. Do you
> > think user applications would be broken because of the difference with
> RI.
>

> I am not sure. But this may be a risk.

To follow ISO-3166 standard mentioned in the spec sounds better and
logical but...if you take a look on other several words country names you
can find that they are not the same on RI than in the ISO-3166. E.g.:

new Locale("", "KP");
ISO-3166 expected value: "Korea, Democratic People's Republic of "
RI returns: "North Korea"

 new Locale("", "MK");
ISO-3166 expected value: "Macedonia, the former Yugoslav Republic of "
RI returns: "Macedonia"

..and so on.

IMO in this case to be compatible with RI we can use "The Democratic
Republic Of Congo" for "CD" country. To follow completely the ISO-3166
standard we have to make changes not only for "CD" country.

Thanks,
Ilya.