harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Phipps <webm...@sun.com>
Subject Re: Bringing License arguments to Sun
Date Sun, 20 Aug 2006 10:27:14 GMT

On Aug 20, 2006, at 09:54, Chris Gray wrote:

> +1 to Stefano Mazzocchi:

Noted, thanks.  (and edited so I am making fair use of your
copyrighted material - I don't want to get sued...)

>  The specs should be
> licensed in a way that is compatible with the requirements of
> standards
> bodies such as ISO, ANSI, ECMA, even if Sun doesn't intend to head
> that way
> just yet.

Keep in mind that Sun doesn't get to decide this any more, it's up to
the JCP, and there are plenty of voices other than Sun who would
likely oppose this. While I sympathise, open sourcing Sun's Java
implementations has nothing to do with the JCP and is made possible
by the JCPA 2.5 and later.

S.