harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail Loenko" <mloe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Sun's permission to use exception messages and toString() formats
Date Mon, 07 Aug 2006 11:21:44 GMT
2006/8/7, Geir Magnusson Jr <geir@pobox.com>:

> Mikhail Loenko wrote:
> > Does it mean that we are revisiting our agreement on "more helpful error
> > messages"? [1,2]
>
> They are orthogonal.  I think that Mark was right on that our message
> all over should be helpful, but then when we are throwing exceptions out
> of standard classes, we need to take some care.

sorry, I did not catch. Most of the exceptions even originating in
some internal
classes are finally go to a user app over some standard class.

> > Should we now roll back for example Harmony-250?
>
> I don't think so - did it actually undo RI-like exception messages, or
> just improve some?

In some cases RI throws someting like "invalid arguments" instead of
throwing e.g. "invalid A" when arg A is invalid and "invalid B" when arg B
is invalid.

So before the fix we like RI threw one message and now we throw different
messages:
-        if ((key == null) || (key.length == 0) || (algorithm == null)) {
-            throw BADPARAMS_EXC;
-        }
+        if (algorithm == null) throw ALG_NULL_EXC;
+        if (key == null) throw KEY_NULL_EXC;
+        if (key.length == 0) throw KEY_TOO_SHORT_EXC;

Thanks,
Mikhail

> geir
>

> > Thanks,
> > Mikhail
> >
> > [1]
> > http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/subcomponents/classlibrary/agreements.html
> >
> > [2]
> > http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200603.mbox/%3cfcb9f9160603240835i792de7dobabfc43a44e7c752@mail.gmail.com%3e

> >> messages
> >>
> >> Sure, if people want to spend their time doing that then of course we
> >> will be grateful.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Tim

> >> to do