harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Stepan Mishura" <stepan.mish...@gmail.com>
Subject [classlib][logging] a test suite shouldn't touch any of JRE config files!!!
Date Wed, 30 Aug 2006 05:03:26 GMT
Hi,

I was browsing thought logging tests and realized that running logging test
suite cause updates of tested JRE configuration.
The ant script changes jre/lib/logging.properties file by:

    <target name="copy.resources">
        <copy todir="${hy.jdk}/jre/lib" overwrite="yes" flatten="yes">
            <fileset dir="${hy.logging.src.main.java}">
                <include name="**/logging.properties" />
            </fileset>
        </copy>
    </target>

I do believe that we shouldn't do testing in this way - if a test requires
special env. configuration(different from JRE's default) the test suite
shouldn't *hack* JRE config files. We should consider dynamic env.
reconfiguration. For example, for this particular case is there any problem
with using LogManager.readConfiguration(InputStream) to reinitialize the
logging properties?
Also keep in mind that the test suite is expected to be run against some
compatible implementation. I think nobody is going to reinstall Sun's JRE
each time after running Harmony test suite.

Thanks,
Stepan Mishura
Intel Middleware Products Division