harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrey Chernyshev" <a.y.chernys...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] problem when TM patch applied
Date Tue, 22 Aug 2006 18:48:36 GMT
> I've applied the thread manager patch (with some minor tweaks by hand...)
>
> All builds fine, and passes the smoke tests and the new [cool] C-based
> unit tests.
>
> However, when I run tomcat 5.5.17, I have a problem - after the server
> comes up, it throws an exception and then spins hard.

Which platform/configuration you are running it? To be honest, I never
run tomcat with DRLVM so I don' t know what the issue could be.
I'm trying to reproduce what you described, but so far the tomcat
seems to start successfully for me at least with win/debug:

C:\temp\apache-tomcat-5.5.17\bin>c:\workspace\trunk-vm\drlvm\build\win_ia32_msvc
_debug\deploy\jre\bin\java  -Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoa
derLogManager -Djava.util.logging.config.file="C:\temp\apache-tomcat-5.5.17\conf
\logging.properties"   -Djava.endorsed.dirs="C:\temp\apache-tomcat-5.5.17\common
\endorsed" -classpath "C:\temp\apache-tomcat-5.5.17\bin\bootstrap.jar" -Dcatalin
a.base="C:\temp\apache-tomcat-5.5.17" -Dcatalina.home="C:\temp\apache-tomcat-5.5
.17" -Djava.io.tmpdir="C:\temp\apache-tomcat-5.5.17\temp" org.apache.catalina.st
artup.Bootstrap  start
<snip>
Aug 22, 2006 10:14:46 PM INFO org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start: Server
startup in 8653 ms

I even can see a web page at localhost:8080...

I've just got the fresh classlib and drlvm.
Could it be that we resolved the conflicts differently?

> I've done a sanity check with last weeks published snapshot, and SVN
> head w/o the threadmanager patch (to test if it's the classlib) and both
> work fine.
>
> I'd like to get TM in so that VM patches can be based against that, but
> I'm a little loathe to commit what appears to be broken code.
>
> So what to do?
>
> If we believe that we can get this fixed quickly against SVN, I'm happy
> to check in and let people work on it directly - I think that would be
> the nicest way to continue moving all work against the Harmony SVN...

If I find what the problem is, I think I could suggest the updated
patch or a follow-up patch that can be applied prior to the
integration/commit.
Still, may be it won't be a bad idea to integrate this code now
because next time the conflicts could be harder to resolve - it really
touches a lot.
May be creating a separate branch could help for now?

Thanks,
Andrey.

> Andrey, et al - do you think this is minor?
>
> geir

Andrey Chernyshev
Intel Middleware Products Division