harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Blewitt" <alex.blew...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Re: BASE64Encoder class missing?
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2006 08:20:13 GMT
> Anthony Green wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 17:58 -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> >> Yes- the idea is to provide that "suncompat.jar" for that reason with
> >> those clases in the sun.* namespace that user apps depend on.
> >
> > This way lies madness.  I urge you to take a strong stand against bad
> > applications.
>
> Oh, don't get me wrong - we really want to.  But we want adoption of the
> harmony codebase as well.  We think that we have a reasonable balance -
> provide the functionality in an separable, modular way at first to make
> it easy for people to try and adopt harmony.

May I suggest that we try and:

1) Make available a suncompat.jar, which re-writes calls to o.a.h or
similar (or subclasses them ...)
2) Explicitly don't make it part of the default classpath ala
'tools.jar' in the standard Sun implementation when running HarmonyVM
code
3) Put up a FAQ saying that 'If you depend on e.g. sun.*, stick the
suncompat in the classpath'

That way, out-of-the-box we don't have it, but there's an easy fix for
people who trip up over it. However, if people just need to get it
running, then they have a trivial workaround that doesn't involve
changing their code.

The same could also be provided for code that depends on sun.JavaC or
whatever ...

Alex.