harmony-dev mailing list archives

From zouqiong <ust...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm]A subject to profiling instrumenting
Date Thu, 31 Aug 2006 07:02:46 GMT

> Recording mem-access patterns is a performance-oriented task, am I
> right?

yes, perfect right.

How do you think, should patterns depend on certain JIT and GC
> tightly? I suspect they depend heavily on GC, and not-so-much on
> JIT. Though, I should say that JET uses a very cheap register
> allocation mechanism, so it should negatively influence on the number
> of memory accesses, and heavily. If you are more oriented on
> performance you should be rather using OPT for that. But, yet, I do
> not mind if you start with a more easy-to-use JET :)

I think memory access pattern depends heavily on GC. I want to use
JET to instrument some profile to get the access sequence of OBJECTS.
Making use of GC to analyze the sequence is what to do next. I think you
are an expert on GC. Am I right? :-)
I don`t choose the OPT, because I think JET is much more easier and faster
than OPT. We shouldn`t waste too much time in instrumenting. Is it?

Are you trying to implement some known techniques or is your work a
> subject of ongoing research? What papers can I read on this to be more
> acquainted with what you are doing?

Yes, I want to first implement Chilimbi`s work in DRLVM. The following list
mainly line out the techniques:
1.Efficient Representations and Abstractions for Quantifying and Exploiting
Data Reference Locality.
2.Bursty Tracing: A Framework for Low-Overhead Temporal Profiling
3.Dynamic Hot Data Stream Prefetching for General-Purpose Programs
4.Profile-guided Proactive Garbage Collection for Locality Optimization

If you want to know it more quickly, just reading the first three paper.