harmony-dev mailing list archives

From zouqiong <ust...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: performance of drlvm
Date Thu, 17 Aug 2006 06:41:31 GMT
Hi, Mikhail:
    These days i have read a lot of paper about dynamic optimization. I got
the following ideas
to profile the drlvm with PMU:
1. Prefetch Injection Based on Hardware Monitoring and Object Metadata: this
paper is a good
example about how to PMU to dynamic prefetch data with high cache miss rate.
I want to
implement this idea in DRLVM.
2. The idea from Chilimbi. He got the trace by instrumented the code, which
causes high overhead.  I want to improve his implementation. Firstly use the
hardware performance counter
to get the data reference trace, and  abstracts the trace. Secondly use
SEQUITUR algorithm to simplify the trace and represent the trace with DAG
from which we can easily get the hot data stream (follow Chilimbi`s way).
This can instruct how to prefetch the data with high miss rate.

    As for the performance monitor tool, i will think about it later.
Please point out the defect or mistake. Thanks.