harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Morozova, Nadezhda" <nadezhda.moroz...@intel.com>
Subject RE: [doc]proposal to improve and expand website
Date Thu, 03 Aug 2006 08:14:04 GMT
Alexey,

If you look into the structure of the Harmony website, you'll see that
permanent pages are originally written in XML, then built with Ant using
Anakia for XML>HTML transformation into normal HTML. So, the source XML
files are stored in xdocs/ and resulting HTML files in docs/. This is
described in README.txt in harmony/standard/site/.

So far, external materials on classlib packages were placed in HTML in
docs/externals directory as a read-only copy from repository.
Now, as I understood Geir, the number of useful materials that are
relatively stable grows (5 classlib docs + several drlvm docs) and
placing them all in externals/ does not seem reasonable any more. So,
Geir has suggested, and Tim Ellison has agreed that we need to transfer
the external HTML files to the XML format and make them part of site
this way.

The issue is the volume of this task. For a short HTML doc, you can
transfer the content fairly easily: change <h> tags to <section> and
normally. However, for longer docs with a variety of CSS styles applied
and various content unit used, e.g. notes, definition lists, formatted
tables, and so forth. For such formatting-rich documents, the HTML > XML
transfer does not appear so linear. As I understand, this will take a
significant amount of manual editing. Or am I missing something?
Your suggestions on format transformations are most welcome :)

Best regards,
Nadya Morozova,