harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Rana Dasgupta" <rdasg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] Helper inlining in JIT
Date Wed, 16 Aug 2006 17:04:15 GMT

> >> So why can't we optimize native (JNI) calls from Java code using
> annotations
> >> similar to those used to annotate helper's slow call above?
> >> Once developer annotates native call with information about it's
> sideffects
> >> we can optimize the call and reduce JNI overhead.
> >> ?
>
> >This is off-topic now. :-)  But one (crazy) idea is to compile the
> >native code with JVM compiler as well so that both Java and native
> >code can use same IR.

 Let's skip JNI optimization on this thread, I am sorry I brought it up.

   -  So we will write the inlinable  fastpaths wherever possible in pure
   Java, using an annotated calling convention to call the slowpath ( to
   support developer freedom :-) ).
   - Where the fastpaths cannot be expressible in pure Java, we will
   first use asm to develop the helper and a custom calling convention to
   invoke and test it
   - As and when the magic classes are all available( I have not seen
   Alex and Weldon's code ), we will switch the second set  above to Java +
   magic and start inlining these as well
   - We can start with the new object allocation helper and .Jet if we
   want to, I guess
   - For folks who are interested in this, the core helpers live in
   vmcore\src\jit\jit_runtime_support.cpp and the exports in
   vmcore\include\jit_export.h.  There is platform specific stuff under
   vmcore\util\[platform]\base

Thanks,
Rana