harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Rana Dasgupta" <rdasg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] new snapshots up early morning... is the win2k problem gone?
Date Wed, 09 Aug 2006 06:45:47 GMT
Geir,
  Certainly we can support w2k if we choose to. But I think that the right
way to do this is to implement, build and test for W2K, not by disabling
code that will not run on it by trying to support a single binary image
across OS's. The DRLVM code has not been tested on w2k. It may not be a good
idea to try to achieve this by commenting out the code piece by piece as we
hit bugs. Are we choosing build on and support W2K as a platform of choice
for Harmony? If we don't want to do this and just want to somehow enable one
user, we should at least consider branching this code.
  I did not understand your comment about compile time/run time.
_WIN32_WINNT is the standard way to distinguish between Windows platforms
and is used everywhere to check platform capability. Are you proposing that
we should make dynamic runtime os version checks? I am not sure what is the
benefit of that.
  Regarding your question about whether if it runs on w2k it will also run
on xp, I am not sure. Usually windows oS's are binary backward compatible
till ~ W2K, meaning that a W2K binary should somehow run on forward OS's.
But that is designed only for legacy support and cannot be used for
performance etc.