harmony-dev mailing list archives

From FaeLLe <mrbillcollec...@gmail.com>
Subject Fwd: Java Distributed Garbage Collection in RMI
Date Wed, 23 Aug 2006 01:47:56 GMT
Forwarding message to Harmony list as it was rejected previously as spam
probably due to ZIP attachement and links in body.

Removing zip attachement and links.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: FaeLLe <mrbillcollector@gmail.com>
Date: Aug 23, 2006 2:34 AM
Subject: Java Distributed Garbage Collection in RMI
To: "Morozova, Nadezhda" <nadezhda.morozova@intel.com>
Cc: harmony-dev@incubator.apache.org

Hello Nadezha,

Been experimenting with the DGC interface of Java RMI and as far as I have
understood there is no way to make a remote object be garbage collected
other than invoke System.gc() and let it be collected over time.

I however notice that the internal calls can be tracked by setting the
following system properties,

        System.setProperty("java.rmi.server.logCalls", "true");
        System.setProperty ("sun.rmi.dgc.logLevel", "VERBOSE");
        System.setProperty("sun.rmi.dgc.logCalls", "true");

What I was wondering is if you had any suggestions on how to actually ensure
that the remote object has been collected. I tried placing
System.out.println() statements in the finalize() and unreferenced() methods
(the client also implements the Unreferenced interface) however it seems to
generate no such output.

Neither do the internal rmi logs that should be displayed in output in
verbose mode show any indication of this happening.

I have attached the code if you would be willing to examine it and let me
know what I am not doing correctly. Ps. I have included them in zip format
and as Java sources whichever is convinient for you.

TestDistributedGarbageCollection.java is the RMI server and the
EchoClient.java is the RMI client.

Regards,

- Vikram Mohan