harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Weldon Washburn" <weldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DRLVM][GC] high-level design proposal for GCV5
Date Wed, 23 Aug 2006 20:44:09 GMT
I like it.  Some comments.  It would be really nice to avoid dealing
with write barriers during initial bringup.  It would be good if the
GCV5 collector is designed so that it is easy to configure to always
do a full heap collection.  The idea is to eliminate the dependency on
the write barrier during initial development.

It might also make sense to design in a write barrier verifier.  The
concept is to verify that all the old-to-young pointers are properly
handled.  One way of doing this is to force a full heap mark.  Then
compare the full heap mark's old-to-young pointers to what the write
barrier mechanism derived.

Weldon Washburn
Intel Middleware Products Division