harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew Zhang" <zhanghuang...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][logging] a test suite shouldn't touch any of JRE config files!!!
Date Wed, 30 Aug 2006 07:04:26 GMT
On 8/30/06, Stepan Mishura <stepan.mishura@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was browsing thought logging tests and realized that running logging
> test
> suite cause updates of tested JRE configuration.
> The ant script changes jre/lib/logging.properties file by:
>
>    <target name="copy.resources">
>        <copy todir="${hy.jdk}/jre/lib" overwrite="yes" flatten="yes">
>            <fileset dir="${hy.logging.src.main.java}">
>                <include name="**/logging.properties" />
>            </fileset>
>        </copy>
>    </target>
>
> I do believe that we shouldn't do testing in this way - if a test requires
> special env. configuration(different from JRE's default) the test suite
> shouldn't *hack* JRE config files. We should consider dynamic env.
> reconfiguration. For example, for this particular case is there any
> problem
> with using LogManager.readConfiguration(InputStream) to reinitialize the
> logging properties?

Yes, they're different. :-) Static first initialization acts differently
from readConfiguration if you take a look at the source code. :)
But I do agree that we should not change jre config in this way!  I suggest
solve this problem in following way:
1. backup jre default logging.properties in ant before running logging test.

2. copy test logging.properties to jre before running logging test.
3. restore jre config when logging test ends.

Make senses?

Also keep in mind that the test suite is expected to be run against some
> compatible implementation. I think nobody is going to reinstall Sun's JRE
> each time after running Harmony test suite.

Agreed. :-)

Thanks,