harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Spark Shen" <smallsmallor...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Re: [classlib][luni] Our locale data is incomplete, and Locale("", "CD").getDisplayCountry() return different string compared with ISO3166-1
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2006 13:15:07 GMT
2006/8/10, Alex Blewitt <alex.blewitt@gmail.com>:

> I think we should follow the ISO-3166 standard for everything; after
> all, that's the point of the standard :-) If the RI has bugs in, then
> fair enough, but the point of the ISO codes is to have a standard way
> of referencing it (CD) -- how it appears on displays shouldn't be
> important, and you shouldn't have code that depends on the display
> name when you've got the ISO code ...
>
> It's much easier to be strict about it now (and fix bugs as they get
> found in other apps) than to be lax now and try and add strictness
> later. So I'd say, let's go with the ISO-3166 for everything.
>
> Alex.
>
> On 10/08/06, Ilya Okomin <ilya.okomin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Of
> you
> with
> > > RI.
> > >

> > > I am not sure. But this may be a risk.
> >

> > To follow ISO-3166 standard mentioned in the spec sounds better and
> > logical but...if you take a look on other several words country names
> you
> > can find that they are not the same on RI than in the ISO-3166. E.g.:
> >
> > new Locale("", "KP");
> > ISO-3166 expected value: "Korea, Democratic People's Republic of "
> > RI returns: "North Korea"
> >
> >  new Locale("", "MK");
> > ISO-3166 expected value: "Macedonia, the former Yugoslav Republic of "
> > RI returns: "Macedonia"
> >
> > ..and so on.
> >
> > IMO in this case to be compatible with RI we can use "The Democratic
> > Republic Of Congo" for "CD" country. To follow completely the ISO-3166
> > standard we have to make changes not only for "CD" country.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ilya.

Emm, now two are for being compliance with RI, one for spec. :-)

There is a concern that we may eliminate all locale related information
maintained in Harmony itself,
but uses a third party component, say ICU4J to manage all these data. And I
guess if people get agreed on that
scheme, all these argument may shift to that component related threads.

Best regards

> > > Best regards
> > >
> > > Richard.

THE