harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Spark Shen" <smallsmallor...@gmail.com>
Subject [classlib][luni] Our locale data is incomplete, and Locale("", "CD").getDisplayCountry() return different string compared with ISO3166-1
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2006 07:49:24 GMT
Hi All:
Construct a locale like this:
Locale l = new Locale("", "CD");
On RI, l.getDisplayCountry() will return "The Democratic Republic Of Congo",
which is different from ISO 3166-1 standard.
("CONGO, THE DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE" or "Congo, the Democratic Republic
of the")

Mean while, on harmony, we do not have a country "CD"->"CONGO, THE
DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE" data item or a
"CD"->" Congo, the Democratic Republic of
the<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Republic_of_the_Congo>"
data item at all.

This test case will fail on Harmony since the returned displayCountry is
"CD".
public void test_getDisplayCountry() {

        Locale l_countryCD = new Locale("", "CD");
        assertEquals("CONGO, THE DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE",
                l_countryCD.getDisplayCountry());
    }

I need to add a mapping into harmony locale data. But which?

"CD"->"CONGO, THE DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE"
    or
"CD"->"Congo, the Democratic Republic of the"
    or
"CD"->"The Democratic Republic Of Congo" (RI)

Personally, I prefer RI, since there may be applications relies on the
returned displayCountry value. Your opinions?

Best regards

Spark Shen
China Software Development Lab, IBM