harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Jimmy, Jing Lv" <firep...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib]strings externalization
Date Thu, 31 Aug 2006 10:34:23 GMT
Ilya Okomin wrote:
> Hi, Jimmy!
>
> It's great that you are interested in it!
> Unfortunately there is no automatic externalization generation tool that
> fits our needs. However, you can combine Eclipse externalization tool with
> some manual work to get what is need. You can take a look into the
> [classlib]strings externalization thread [1] for details. Main points
> briefly:
> 1. Using Eclipse externalization tool you can extract all strings from the
> sources. When you process certain source file strings that used for
> messages
> should be externalized, others should be ignored (as a result, Eclipse mark
> them with non-nls tag).
> 2. Eclipse tool by default suggests you to use keep messages from each
> class
> in the separate messages.properties file, and keys in the properties file
> will looks like <class_name>.<id>. We've decided to have one messages list
> instrument
> :)). Thus at first you should change common prefix to "<module>.". Next
> step
> is to configure "Accessor class" field: choose the proper package for
> Messages class and messages.properties file("org.apache.harmony
> .<module>.msgstool").
>
> What is to take care of:
> 1. Continuation of the numeration of messages. For every new source file
> you
> process Eclipse tool will reset enumeration, and you should manually set
> the
> appropriate number for messages. Also it would be better if you avoid
> messages duplication in the list. (Pretty annoying if you have many
> messages
> in the module and some of them are duplicated)
> 2. Messages formatting. If you have message located on the several source
> code lines - you should concatenate them into one message string and use
> one
> Messages.getString(..) call. Also messages with arguments are supposed
> to be
> converted to strings with places for substitution by parameters being
> arguments in Messages.getString() method. E.g. code:
>
> int param;
> NullPointerException("foo " + param + " bar");
>
> supposed to be formatted as
>
> NullPointerException(Messages.getString("<module>.1", param));
>
> where "<module>.1=foo {0} bar" in the resource bundle.
>
> I hope now the process is clear.
> You can find examples of internationalized messages in the [sql] module.
>
> As for messages in native code, actually I dealt only with java code.
> You may find something interesting for you from the "[drlvm] proposals for
> VM c" thread [2].
>
> Regards,
> Ilya.
>
> [1]
> [...]

Thanks Ilya, I'll apply patch soon. I deal with Java code only this
time, it is simple that I only find 3 strings :) I'll put them in
messages.properties under instrument with name "instrument.1(2,3)" and
update codes.
Instrument also have an console output string, I suggest also put it to
property file so it can be internationalization as well. Then there are
4 total.
And strings in native code may be refactored if we have conclusion of
native internationalization.

<snip>

--

Best Regards!