harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Liang <richard.lian...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][TestNG] How to handle bootclasspath tests
Date Thu, 24 Aug 2006 14:58:14 GMT

Mark Hindess wrote:
> On 24 August 2006 at 13:58, Oliver Deakin <oliver.deakin@googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Richard Liang wrote:
>>
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> I'm investigating the possibilities of migrating Harmony tests from
>>> JUnit/Directory layout to TestNG while reviewing all the related
>>> thread in mailing list. And I will try to answer the open issues. To
>>> make things simple, I will post the issues one by one. ;-)
>>>
>>> Question: How to handle bootclasspath tests?
>>>
>>> IMHO, I'm not sure whether it is a good idea to use TestNG groups to
>>> differentiate the "bootclasspath" tests and "classpath" tests.
>>>
>>> If we put "bootclasspath" and "classpath" tests in the same directory,
>>> and use TestNG groups to differentiate them. When we want to run the
>>> "bootclasspath" tests, we have to put all tests in bootclasspath
>>> including the "classpath" tests. I don't think it's a good approach.
>>> And I cannot find any ways to compile the java sources from one
>>> directory into several different directories (ANT or Eclipse). So I
>>> suggest we put bootclasspath tests and classpath tests into different
>>> directories.
>>>
>> Agreed - this is a fairly simple separation, and there is good reason to
>> do it.
>> My vote's for keeping bootclasspath and classpath tests physically separate.
>>

> Yes, I think this is the best way to handle this distinction too.
>
> There are going to be more than enough "groups".  I thought about some
> more earlier while trying the awt tests... we should identify which
> tests require a display to run and which may be run "headless".

That's a good point, Mark. Just thinking about whether we could skip the
tests which require a display when there is no display available. If
someone try to run Harmony tests on a Linux server, the awt/swing tests
shall be skipped. Any ideas?

I will open another thread to discuss TestNG groups :-)

Best regards,
Richard