harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Liang <richard.lian...@gmail.com>
Subject [classlib][TestNG] How to handle bootclasspath tests
Date Thu, 24 Aug 2006 10:47:48 GMT
Hello All,

I'm investigating the possibilities of migrating Harmony tests from
JUnit/Directory layout to TestNG while reviewing all the related thread
in mailing list. And I will try to answer the open issues. To make
things simple, I will post the issues one by one. ;-)

Question: How to handle bootclasspath tests?

IMHO, I'm not sure whether it is a good idea to use TestNG groups to
differentiate the "bootclasspath" tests and "classpath" tests.

If we put "bootclasspath" and "classpath" tests in the same directory,
and use TestNG groups to differentiate them. When we want to run the
"bootclasspath" tests, we have to put all tests in bootclasspath
including the "classpath" tests. I don't think it's a good approach. And
I cannot find any ways to compile the java sources from one directory
into several different directories (ANT or Eclipse). So I suggest we put
bootclasspath tests and classpath tests into different directories.

But if we think putting all tests into bootclasspath is not a problem,
we may have a workaround: running bootclasspath and classpath tests in
separate tasks. I mean:1)  Running bootclasspath  tests with all tests
in bootclasspath 2) running all classpath tests with all tests in classpath

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Here is sample of how to launch TestNG in ANT:

        <testng outputDir="${testng.report.dir}"
                sourcedir="${test.src.dir}"
                haltOnfailure="true"
                verbose="3"
                jvm="${HarmonyVM}/bin/java"

            <bootclasspath>
                <pathelement path="../bin/tests.boot" />
            </bootclasspath>

            <classpath>
                <pathelement path="../bin/tests" />
            </classpath>
            <xmlfileset dir="." includes="suite.xml" />
        </testng>

Thanks for reading this far. ;-)

--
Richard Liang