harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Dalibor Topic <robi...@kaffe.org>
Subject Re: [legal] Re: Bringing License arguments to Sun
Date Tue, 22 Aug 2006 19:37:27 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> Maybe - or just declaring a patent peace or patent commons.  I think
> that there's nothing wrong with proprietary software, so if they want
> to keep competing using it, great.

I don't see a point in proprietary JVMs, and class libraries for major
operating systems, in today's situation.

The only purpose I could see them used for is as a tool for attacks on
the integrity of the platform through locking in users into proprietary
extensions.
I don't think the market would be able to sort out a distributor with a
strong channel, like IBM, that went that route, as our experience in
Apache Harmony
with code using unspecified sun.* classes shows.

'Never again' should be the motto for IBM & BEA, imho. They should let
deeds follow the open letters, and open up their
proprietary implementations.

cheers,
dalibor topic