harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Dalibor Topic <robi...@kaffe.org>
Subject Re: [legal] Re: Bringing License arguments to Sun
Date Tue, 22 Aug 2006 18:47:14 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

>I understand you are concerned about the SCO-like patent attacks of
>somebody coming in and telling you that you can't run your own code
>because they own the rights to the concept... but if that is the case
>against the RI, we have a way bigger problem and that's nothing a
>license can fix.

I think a good part of the nightmare scenarious surrouding licensees
going mad and trying to
fracture the platform for fun and profit could be fixed quite easily by
IBM and BEA dropping
their cards on the table, and going open source with their proprietary
implementations of
Java as well.

The platform will be much stronger against external attacks if the large
vendors are in the
same boat with Sun, rather than if strong stakeholders have an incentive
to innovate on
proprietary branches, and perpetuate the current lock-in-based licensing
schemes.

I don't think the market could sort a proprietary fork from IBM out
easily, for example.
And I don't think it should have to, given IBM's and BEA's open letter
campaign for open
source Java a little while ago.

It's time to put up, and invest into the future of the platform, rather
than future of lock-in.

cheers,
dalibor topic