harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Jimmy, Jing Lv" <firep...@gmail.com>
Subject [classlib][instrument]and[VM]:launcher with parameter "javaagent"
Date Mon, 21 Aug 2006 07:13:34 GMT
Hi,

     On writing tests for java.lang.instrument, I find it nice Harmony
launcher can accept parameter "-javaagent" currently. Look deep into the
launcher code, I find the parameter was really parsed by VM itself
currently.
     And if I use J9VM, it can accept such parameter but ask for
"instrument.dll". As we know, Harmony naming convention use "hyXXX.dll"
as dll-file name. So vm fails to load lib here. However if I copy the
file "hyinstrument.dll" to "instrument.dll", J9VM load it happily and
pass my test on Instrument.
     I do not know what does DRLVM or other VMs do here (I'd like to
hear if jvmti has been implemented in DRLVM).

     So Instrument testcases can not be put to svn until this problem is
solved (or it'll break build!). I guess there are two ways here:
     1. to work around, add a line in build.xml, copy the file to
"instrument.dll", and wait for VM to get updated. Or we change filename
in build system forever?
     2. I wonder if we can modify in launcher, parse the parameter and
pass the dll filename to VM?

     Any suggestions?Thanks!

--

Best Regards!