harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Bringing License arguments to Sun
Date Sun, 20 Aug 2006 12:52:41 GMT

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Sun is not using a license to stop people to add changes to the JVM that
> they are afraid that they won't get donated back. Sun is looking for
> ways to help spread Java, but without affective compatibility negatively.

That's the important thing to get across to Sun - that there are other
things that will ensure compatibility like 'the market' (no one wants a
broken java... people have too much invested in their Java deployments),
the power of the Java brand (you can't call your software 'Java' unless
you pass the TCK), etc.

[snip]

> CDDL is an example of clever lawyer work to modernize best licensing
> practices, but those are best practices in protection not in social
> empowerment!

I don't understand that.  Do you see the CDDL as somehow restricting
communities?  I think that CDDL is a reasonable license, and if I wasn't
allowed to use a BSD-style license for whatever reason, I'd go that way...

geir