harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: New IBM VME available soon
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2006 13:24:58 GMT
Hi Paulex,

Thanks also to Leo for providing this implementation. I tried a couple
of simple
tests on Windows on the getenv() and getenv(String) methods.

The getenv() method seems to work fine, giving me a list of the
environment properties.
I compared this list to those output by the Sun and IBM VMs, and found only
one property missing (the rest were the same). It is a property with key
"=::"
and value "::\" (without the quote marks). I have no idea what they are
for or
whether they are important. Can anyone shed any light on these?

When testing the getenv(String) method I hit a snag. If I try the
following line:

  System.out.println(System.getenv("PATH"));

on the current classlib, I get "null" output, whereas on J9 and Sun 50 I get
the correct path contents printed. I looked a little closer and found that
this is because my path environment variable is actually called "Path". So
it seems that on Windows the RI and IBM vms are case insensitive,
but Harmony is not. The spec for getenv(String) states:

"On UNIX systems the alphabetic case of 'name' is typically significant,
while on Microsoft Windows systems it is typically not. For example, the
expression 'System.getenv("FOO").equals(System.getenv("foo"))' is
likely to be true on Microsoft Windows."

It seems we see this difference with Harmony because the current
implementation tries to carry out a lookup in a Map with the environment
variable name as the key. Since this lookup is case sensitive, we do not
find
the entry.

IMHO we should match the RI behaviour on this one. I would propose
a solution that involves making Environment.getenv(String) carry out a
direct call to a native function that in turn calls
GetEnvironmentVariable() [1] on
Windows and (I think) getenv() on Linux[2]. This way the case-sensitivity
should match that typical to the platform. Do you agree?

I would also remove the static initialisation block from that class, and
move
its contents into the getenv() method instead, just returning the Map
directly without need to staticly store it in the class. I suggest this
for two
reasons:
1) It reduces the long term memory requirements of the Environment
class. With the current implementation all the Strings are loaded into
memory the first time the class is loaded, and then they stay in memory
until the class is unloaded or the VM exits, even if they are never used
again.
2) With the current implementation, it is possible that the returned
environment variables are out of date. There could be a scenario where
the Environment.getenv() method is queried, then some actions happen
in an application that cause environment variables to change, and the
getenv() is queried again. The result from getenv() would not change
frmo one call to the next even though the environment has. I think the
right solution here is to rebuild the Map every time getenv() is called.

What do you think of these suggestions Paulex, Leo?

Regards,
Oliver

[1]
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dllproc/base/getenvironmentvariable.asp