harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Robin Garner <robin.gar...@anu.edu.au>
Subject Re: [DRLVM][GC] Goals for 2006/2007
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2006 08:10:31 GMT
Weldon Washburn wrote:
> All,
>
> There is rough consensus that the immediate goal for Harmony JVM is to
> reliably run simple commercial workloads with acceptable performance.
> In regards to a garbage collector for a Harmony JVM in 2006 there are
> some data points worth noting.  1) A quick survey shows most basic
> commercial JVMs implement a generational collector. 2) While the
> existing drlvm garbage collector, gcv4, implements some interesting
> advanced concepts, it is not currently a generational collector.  3)
> The MMTk port to drlvm is not yet finished.  Even assuming MMTk's
> generational configuration is appropriate, it is still too early to
> put this garbage collector on the roadmap for a 2006 Harmony JVM.  It
> might be worth revisiting in 2007.  But it's too far away to debate at
> this time.
>
> Given the above data points, the following is a first stab at
> requirements for Harmony "GCV5".  The intention is to set down some
> basic parameters.
>
> 1)
> Generational Collector with mark/compacting mature object space
Why mark/compact specifically ?  The easiest approach would be to add a
copying nursery 'in front' of the exiting GCV4 mature space, and then
look at replacing/updating the implementation of the mature space.  This
could be achieved with virtually no change to the mature space collector.

As an aside, best performance with a generational collector also comes
from an Appel-style nursery, ie the nursery size is essentially
(heap-mature)/2.

The rest of the worklist seems uncontroversial to me, but I wonder how
much work it is to implement these vs getting MMTk working.

cheers